Monday, March 11, 2013

What my kids eat

My kids aren't vegan but they are very close! Vegetarian but not fully vegan...yet. I hope they will make this decision for themselves one day but for now, they have eggs once a week (local eggs from friendly farmers) and minimal cheese.
Lets face it. Kids are picky. They want chicken nuggets, pizza, pretty much any junk food they can get their hands on. They're kids so they deserve to be able to do this to an extent. We as parents just need to make the best choices we can. Reading labels is detrimental. Everything had high fructose corn syrup and other genetically modified ingredients. Anythi.g that isn't organic and contains corn and soy is more than.likely modified. The safety of these GMOs isn't known. Hmm. Sounds like something I should feed my kids. Not! Disease proof your child is an amazing book. Please read it! I beg of you. I have seen the results.

So what do my kids eat? Mainly fruit, veggies, nuts, whole grains, tons of beans mainly garbanzo but they love all types and can make a meal out of them, eggs, some fish, very minimal cheese then a few junky but healthier kid foods. Here are a few of our fave brands and some pictures of the meals they like. The fish sticks contain no dairy or eggs or other crap ingredients. Also, no artificial colors. Eggplant sticks are vegan. The nuggets are soy free and gmo free as well. Broccoli bites come in fun shapes. The waffles are very low in sugar and don't have the crap ingredients like in eggos.

I do make sure to give them a fruit milkshake with flax or chia seeds for their omega 3s daily. I also sneak some spinach in there ;) they taste great with coconut milk. They think it's dessert but it's packed with phyto nutrient goodness!
Kids nutrition now determines their health in later life. As parents we are responsible for this. We need to make good decisions but at the same time, let them.be kids. Just be smarter about it. I do most all organic for my kids. Is it more expensive? Hell yes it is. But you can't put a price tag on their health. That's the most important thing I. The world to me. I'm hoping teaching them now to make good decisions will help them later in life when they are making their own decisions. Oh, and they still eat cheetos. Just the natural, dye free kind with organic cheese and no ingredients you can't read. Kids gotta have their cheetos right?
My kids don't eat perfectly, but I feel good about what they eat for the most part.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for helping your children choose healthier, non-animal-based foods! I remember how tough it was when my kids were young, finding veg-friendly foods that were tasty as well as appealing to their picky palates.

    A question: are the fish sticks real seafood? If so, I assume they eat some seafood, not quite vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete